Recipes Rainbow cannoli
Recipes Rainbow cannoli
Recipes Rainbow cannoli These types of classic Italian pastries get an additional dash of dolce vita! Rainbow cannoli
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon marsala
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Golden yellow gel food colouring (see Notes)
- Extra plain flour, for dusting
- 14 cannelloni tubes
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Confetti sprinkles, to decorate
Orange mascarpone filling
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1/3 cup icing sugar mixture
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1/2 x 250g tub mascarpone
- Step 1 Place flour, sugar and cinnamon in a food processor. Process until just combined. Add egg, marsala, oil, food colouring and 2 teaspoons cold water. Process until dough starts to come together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth. Divide dough in half and shape into 2 discs. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Step 2 Using the palm of your hand, flatten 1 dough disc to 2cm thick. Dust with flour. Set pasta machine on thickest setting. Feed dough through while turning handle. Fold each short end of dough into the centre to form a smaller rectangle. Repeat feeding and folding process twice.
- Step 3 Reduce roller width by one setting. Dust dough with flour. Feed through machine. Repeat, reducing by one setting each time, until dough is 2mm thick. Using a 10cm round cutter, cut out 7 rounds, re-rolling scraps. Wrap each around a pasta tube, overlapping slightly. Brush a little egg white between overlapping dough to secure (don�t put egg white on tube or dough will stick). Repeat steps 2 and 3 with remaining dough.
- Step 4
Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Leaving them on the tubes, deep-fry 2 cannoli for 2 to 3 minutes or until light golden. Using tongs, transfer cannoli to a tray lined with paper towel. Cool slightly. Carefully slide cannoli shells off tubes. Discard tubes. Repeat with remaining cannoli, reheating oil between batches. Cool completely (see Notes).
- Step 5 Make Orange mascarpone filling: Using an electric mixer, beat cream, sugar and rind until soft peaks form. Add mascarpone. Beat to just-firm peaks. Spoon mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm fluted nozzle. Pipe into cannoli shells. Decorate with sprinkles. Serve immediately.