Recipes Mocha whoopies
Recipes Mocha whoopies
Recipes Mocha whoopies Create decadent coffee butter cream to add the final touches to these beautiful whoopie pies. Mocha whoopies
- 125g butter, with room temperature
- 160g (1 cup, gently packed) dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules, dissolved in 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 egg
- 50g (1/2 cup) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 300g (2 cups) plain flour
- 310ml (1/4 cups) buttermilk
Coffee butter cream
- 125g butter, at room temperature
- 230g (1/2 cups) icing sugar mixture
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 2 teaspoons milk
Coffee glace icing
- 1 egg white
- 250g pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules, dissolved in 1/2 teaspoon hot water
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 190�C. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Use an electric beater to beat the butter, sugar and coffee in a bowl until pale and creamy. Beat in the egg.
- Step 2
Stir in the cocoa and bicarbonate of soda to combine. Use a metal spoon to fold in flour and buttermilk, in alternating batches, until just smooth. The mixture should be a little stiff.
- Step 3 Use a 3cm-diameter ice-cream scoop to place rounds of the mixture onto prepared trays, leaving 5cm for spreading. Use your finger to smooth mixture around the edges.
- Step 4
Bake, swapping the trays halfway through cooking, for 10 minutes or until firm. Cool slightly. Place on a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with remaining mixture.
- Step 5
To make the filling, beat butter and icing sugar in a bowl to combine. Dissolve coffee in water. Add coffee mixture and milk to butter mixture and beat to combine.
- Step 6
Place whoopies, base-side up, on a clean work surface. Spoon the filling into a piping bag fitted with a 5mm fluted nozzle. Pipe stars onto a whoopie base before topping with another whoopie. Pipe half the whoopies with the coffee butter cream.
- Step 7
Top with remaining whoopies and press lightly to sandwich together.
- Step 8 To make the icing, whisk the egg white in a large bowl until frothy. Gradually whisk in the icing sugar until smooth and glossy. Whisk in the coffee until the mixture is spreadable.
- Step 9
Spread tops with coffee glac� icing. Top each whoopie with 2 coffee beans.